A/Prof Tim Cohen
Phone: +61 2 4239 2375
- Senior Lecturer
Fluvial geomorphology and late Quaternary chrono-stratigraphy and palaeoclimatology. This incorporates field-based investigations using topographic analyses, sedimentology, spatial analysis and geochronology (optically stimulated luminescence – OSL).
- Program Co-ordinator – Bachelor of Environmental Science (since 2012)
- Senior Lecturer, School of Earth & Environmental Sciences, University of Wollongong (since 2011)
- Previous position, Lecturer, Macquarie University (2009-2010)
- PhD, University of Wollongong, Australia, 2003
- Link to full CV
- Fluvial geomorphology
- Arid zone geomorphology
- Palaeoclimatology and Quaternary studies
- River and catchment management
- The big flood: will it happen again? (ARC Linkage LP120200093 - Croke, J., Olley, J., Macklin, M., Pietsch, T., Fryirs, K., Thompson, C., Cohen, T.J, Burton, J., Smolders, K.., 2012).
- Palaeo-lakes revisited: re-investigating key lake sites of temperate Australia through the last glacial period. (AINSE Grant, Reeves, J., Cohen, T.J. and OZ-INTIMATE members, 2012).
- Megalake filling and deflation in central Australia. (AINSE Grant, Cohen, T.J., Nanson, G.C., Jones, B.J., Murray-Wallace, C.V., 2011)
- The last glaciation maximum climate conundrum and environmental responses of the Australian continent to altered climate states. (ARC Discovery - DP110103081, Shulmeister, J., Cohen, T.J., Kiernan, K., Woodward, C., Barrows, T., Kemp, J., Fitsimmons, K., Clark, D., 2010).
- How green were our deserts? Evidence for Late Quaternary climate change and the source of water in the Lake Eyre basin (ARC Discovery (DP1096911, Nanson, G.C., Jones, B.J., Murray-Wallace, C.V., Cohen, T.J., 2009)
Potential Honours Topics
- Lake shoreline morpho-stratigraphy of Lake George
- Historical channel changes on the Barnard River, Manning catchment (industry collaboration – Mid-coast Water)
- The effectiveness of river rehabilitation works in East Gippsland – a pathway for river recovery (industry collaboration – East Gippsland CMA)
- Role of climate variability on river channel dimensions
- Extreme floods on the south coast – records from levees
- Bankfull discharge on south coast streams
- Analysing fluvial stratigraphy using GPR
- Using GIS to quantify landscape morpho-metrics of the Great Dividing Range (in conjunction with Tibi Codilean)
- Identifying breakpoints in rainfall data series on the east coast of NSW (done with Thomas Suesse in statistics).
Potential PhD Topics
- Using sedimentary archives to determine palaeoenvironments and moisture sources in continental Australia
- Bankfull discharge on Australian rivers
- Flow transmission in revegetating catchments
Selected Key Publications
- May, J.-H., Barrett, A., Cohen, T.J., Jones, B.G., Price, D., Gliganic, L.A., (2015) Late Quaternary evolution of a playa margin at Lake Frome, South Australia. Journal of Arid Environments, 93-108, 10.1016/j.jaridenv.2015.06.012.
- Baggs-Sargood, M., Cohen, T.J., Thompson, C.J., Croke, J. (2015) Hitting rock bottom: morphological responses of bedrock-confined streams to a catastrophic flood. Earth Surface Dynamics. doi:10.5194/esurfd-2-1093-2014.
- Cohen, T.J., Jansen, J.D., Gliganic, L.A., Larsen J.R., Nanson, G.C., May, J.-H., Jones, B.G., Price, D.M. (2015) Hydrological transformation coincided with megafaunal extinction in central Australia. Geology, doi:10.1130/G36346.1.
- May, J.-H., Wells, S.G., Cohen, T.J., Nanson, G.C., Baker, S.E., (2015) Soil geomorphic relations on late Quaternary beach ridges of Mega-Lake Frome, South Australia. Quaternary Research, 83, 150-165. doi: 10.1016/j.yqres.2014.11.002
- Gliganic, L.A., May, J.-H., Cohen, T.J. (2014). All mixed up: Using single-grain equivalent dose distributions to identify phases of pedogenic mixing on a dryland alluvial fan. Quaternary International. doi: 10.1016/j.quaint.2014.07.040.
- Pook, M.J., Risbey, J.S., Ummenhofer, C.C., Briggs, P.R., Cohen, T.J. (2014) A synoptic climatology of heavy rain events in the Lake Eyre and Lake Frome catchments. Frontiers in Environmental Science, doi: 10.3389/fenvs.2014.00054.
- Kermode, S.J., Cohen, T.J., Reinfelds, I.V., Jones, B.G. (2014). Modern depositional processes in a confined, flood-prone setting: Benches on the Shoalhaven River, NSW, Australia. Geomorphology, 228, 470-485.