Phone: + 612 4221 3589
- Senior Lecturer
Spatial analysis of coastal environments, including the application of GIS, GPS, Remote sensing and spatial statistics
- Prior appointments were in Australia and the UK.
- I have undertaken research in Fiji, Thailand, the Philippines, the Seychelles, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Belize, New Caledonia and Australia
- PhD, University of Cambridge, U.K., 2010
Download full CV [PDF]
- The application of Geospatial technology (geographical information systems, geographical positioning systems and remote sensing).
- Tropical coastal environments (coral reefs, mangroves, seagrasses).
- I enjoy making maps and models that help us to further understand coastlines at the landscape scale.
- Modelling the reticulate reefs of Cocos-Keeling atoll
- Quantifying Carbonate production of the reef platforms in the Capricorn-Bunker Group, Great Barrier Reef
- Dynamics of island flora, Great Barrier Reef
- Modelling bathymetry of reef platforms, Lizard Island
- Investigating relationships between wave energy and sediment transport at Lady Musgrave Island
- Investigating reef island changes (at North Keeling, Sipadan, Low Isles)
Potential Honours and PHD Topics
- Mapping, monitoring and modelling coral reefs and their sand cay islands
- How art / science research collaborations in coastal mapping and spatial analysis can save the world
- Mapping, monitoring and modelling the seafloor and island vegetation of the Five Islands Nature Reserve, Wollongong, NS
- Monitoring the dynamics of reef islands in relation to sea level rise, wave energy and environmental changes
- Mapping for conservation of coral reef systems
- Mapping to explore carbonate dynamics on coral reefs: upscaling estimates of coral community carbonate production, budget estimates and environmental changes
Selected Key PUBLICATIONS
- Barnes, R.S.K, Hamylton, S.M. (2016) On the very edge: faunal and functional responses to the interface between seagrass and unvegetated sand, Marine Ecology Progress Series, 553: 33-48
- Duce, S., Vila-Concejo, A., Hamylton, S.M., Webster, J., Bruce, E., and Beaman, R. (2016) A morphometric assessment and classification of coral reef spur and groove morphology, Geomorphology, accepted March 2016.
- Doo, S., Hamylton, S.M., Byrne, M, Finfer, J. (2016) Spatial and temporal variation in reef-scale carbonate storage of large benthic foraminifera, Coral Reefs, 265: 68-83.
- Shaw, E., Hamylton, S.M., Phinn, S (2016) Incorporating benthic community changes into hydrochemical-based projections of coral reef calcium carbonate production under ocean acidification. Coral Reefs, 35: 739 - 750
- Adnan, F., Hamylton, S. & Woodroffe, C.D. (2016) A comparison of shoreline changes estimated using the base of beach and edge of vegetation line at North Keeling Island. Journal of Coastal Research,2016: 967-971.
- Al-Nasrawi, A.K..M, Jones, B.G., Hamylton, S.M. (2016) GIS-based modelling of vulnerability of coastal wetland ecosystems to human modifications during sea level rise and eco-geomorphic sustainability: a case study from Comerong Island, southeastern Australia, Journal of Coastal Research. 2016: 33 - 37
- Hamylton, S., Hedley, J, Beaman, R (2015) The derivation of high-resolution bathymetry from multispectral satellite imagery on the Great Barrier Reef, Australia: A comparison of empirical and optimization methods through a geographical error analysis, Remote Sensing, 7, 16257-16273.
- Hamylton, S., Carvalho, R., Vila-Concejo, A., Duce, S., Roelfsema, R. (2015) Linking pattern to process in reef sediment dynamics at Lady Musgrave Island, southern Great Barrier Reef, Sedimentology, http://dx.doi.org.ezproxy.uow.edu.au/10.1111/sed.12278
- Linklater, M., Brooke, B.P., Hamylton, S.M., Nichol, S.L. and Woodroffe, C.D., (2015) Submerged fossil reefs discovered beyond the limit of modern reef growth in the Pacific Ocean. Geomorphology, 246: 579-588.
- Barnes, R.S.K. & Hamylton, S.M (2015) Uniform functional structure across spatial scales in an intertidal benthic assemblage. Marine Environmental Research 106: 82 - 91
- Hamylton S & Puotinen, M (2015) A meta-analysis of reef island response to environmental change on the Great Barrier Reef. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms. DOI: 10.1002/esp.3694