Dr Victoria Traynor
PhD ( University of Edinburgh), BSc (Nursing Studies) Hons, RGN, PGCHE, ILM
Phone: +61 2 4221 3471
Mondays 12:00-14:00 and Wednesdays 14:30-16:30
Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays
- Associate Professor (Rehabilitation, Continuing and Aged Care)
Associate Professor Victoria Traynor works in the School of Nursing at the University of Wollongong. Victoria's experience combines research education, and clinical experience in aged and dementia care. The focus of her work is on improving dementia care services using qualitative research and practice development techniques across care settings with multi-disciplinary teams. A summary of these works can be found at Aged and Dementia Care Health Research and Education (ADHERe).
Key achievements are development of a range of resources for delirium care, including national clinical pathways, nursing and multi-disciplinary dementia care competencies, interactive workshops for the implementation of person centred care and a Dementia and Driving Decision Aid (DDDA) booklet. Victoria was also the inaugural Director of the NSW/ACT Dementia Training and Study Centre and the postgraduate co-ordinator of fully-distance multidisciplinary Master of Sciences and Graduate Certificates in Gerontology and Rehabilitation Studies and Dementia Care. Current projects include, evaluating a physical activity programme for individuals living with a dementia in residential accommodation, special observation practices in the acute care setting and evaluating the effects of daylight on the health and well-being of older people.
Prior to relocating from UK in 2006, Victoria held positions with University of Nottingham, the Royal College of Nursing Institute (Gerontological Programme), Oxford Brookes University and with the University of Edinburgh where she completed her PhD studies and nursing honours degree.
School and Faculty Responsibilities
- Head of Postgraduate Studies, School of Nursing
- Aged care
- Dementia care
- Actively involving people with dementia in research
- Action research methodology
- Practice development
- Australian Association of Gerontology
- International Editor and Reviewer of Dementia: International Journal of Social Research & Practice
- International Editor of International Journal Older People Nursing
Major Project Funding (2015-2009)
- Yu, P.; Traynor, V.; Barkus, E.; Li, M.; Qian, S. Carrigan, N. Stephen, S.; Jackson, J. & Flood, M. (2015-2016) A pilot study of the relationship between interaction of the caregivers and the care recipients of dementia and their anxiety in Residential Aged Care UOW, Global Challenges and University of Strathclyde $10,000, IHMRI, UOW $3,000 and Dementia Training Australia, $5,000 with Uniting. Total $18,000.
- Traynor, V. Burns, P., Chenoweth, L., Meyer, J., McKenzie, B, & Shannon, K. (2015-2018) Gerontological Nursing Competencies: Development and pilot implementation across NSW and ACT. SMAH Partnership Grant, University of Wollongong, Anglicare, BaptistCare, HammondCare, Scalabrini, Uniting $135,500 with University New South Wales, with City University, UK and Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand. Total $135,500.
- Traynor, V. Sumskis, S. Carmody, J. Mullan, J. Coyle, M. Steele, A. Rodgers, S. Chang, R. & Fernandez, R. (2013-2018) Delirium Care in Acute Care Settings and Anaesthetics and Post-Operative Delirium) $53,000 Agency for Clinical Innovation, NSW Ministry of Health, $47,000 SMAH Faculty Partnership Grant, University of Wollongong and $10,000 South Sydney Local Health District with the Illawarra Local Health District, University of Edinburgh and European Delirium Association Total $100,000.
- Traynor, V. Carmody J. Marcheti, E. Andrew C. Reynolds, R. Veerhuis, N. & Pastor, D. (2011-2017) Driving and Dementia $21,000 Road and Marine Services, $40,000 Illawarra and Shoalhaven Local Health District and $16,000 University of Wollongong Global Challenges, University of Wollongong with University of North Carolina, USA and Washington University, USA, Taiwanese Alzheimer’s Disease Association and UOW $8,000 and Pennine NHS Trust, UK $0, Catalyst in South Australia $8,000 and Department of Health $32,000 Total $131,000.
Searchable RIS publications from 2000 to date.
Most recent publications
- Kent, K., Charlton, K., Roodenrys, S., Batterham, M., Potter, J., Traynor, V., Gilbert, H., Morgan, O. & Richards, R., (in press) Consumption of anthocyanin-rich cherry juice for 12 weeks improves memory and cognition in older adults with mild to moderate dementia. European Journal of Nutrition [IF 3.467] [66/77 in Nutrition and Dietetics] [H Index 68] Accepted September 2015
- Brett L, Traynor V, Meedya, S, Stapley, P. (in press) Exercise and dementia in nursing homes: Views of staff and family carers. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity DOI: https://doi.org/10.1123/japa.2016-0368 accepted April 2017. [IF 1.867 Journal ranking 40/108 in Geriatrics and Gerontology H Index 42]
- Brett L, Traynor V, Stapley P, Meedya S. (in press) Effects and feasibility of an exercise intervention for individuals living with dementia in nursing homes: study protocol. International Psychogeriatrics 1-13. doi: 10.1017/S1041610217000138 Available online March 2017. [IF 2.22] [H index 68] [Ranked 27/49 in Geriatrics and Gerontology]
- Brett, L.; Traynor, V. Stapley, P.; & Meedya, S. (In press) Impressions of using the Cohen-Mansfield Agitation Inventory as an Outcome Measure: Lessons learnt for future clinical researchers (innovative practice) Dementia: International journal of social research and practice DOI: 10.1177/1471301217695910 [IF 0.911] [H index 11] [22/32 in Gerontology]
- Brett, L.; Traynor, V. Stapley, P.; & Meedya, S. (In press) Acceptability of the Cohen-Mansfield Agitation Inventory in an Australian Residential Aged Care Facility Collegian: The Australian Journal of Nursing Practice, Scholarship and Research DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.colegn.2016.11.005 Accepted November 2016 [IF 1.22] [H index 19] [24/113 in Nursing]
- Olsen, P.; Williamson, M.; Traynor, V. & Georgiou, C. (2017) The impact of oral probiotics on vaginal Group B Streptococcal colonisation in pregnant women: A pilot randomised control study Women and Birth [Impact Factor 2.138 H index 24 Ranked 85/165 Obstetrics and Gynaecology] https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wombi.2017.06.012Accepted for publication June 2017
- Coyle, M.; Traynor, V. & Burns, P. (2017) Is It My Job? The Role of Registered Nurses in the Recognition of Delirium in Older People in Hospital: An Exploratory Qualitative Study Journal of Gerontological Nursing [IF 0.881] [H Index 40] 19/40 Nursing Gerontology] DOI: 10.3928/00989134-20170111-02 43(4); 29-37.
- Gillespie, R.; Burns, P.; Harrison, L.; Baker, A.; Win, K.; Traynor, V. & Mullan, J. (2016) Management for People Living with Dementia: Development and Evaluation of a Multilingual Information Resource for Family Caregivers of People Living with Dementia in D. Vito Moretti Update on Dementia Croatia, In Tech available online at <http://www.intechopen.com/articles/show/title/medication-management-for-people-living-with-dementia-development-and-evaluation-of-a-multilingual-i>.
- Mackay, M. Joyce-McCoach, J.; Stephens, M.; Cutler, N.; Brown, R.; Fernandez, R.; Froggatt, TJ.; Heaton, L.; Moxham, L.; Sim, J.; Traynor, V. & Bourgeois, S. (2016) Nurse Education Today 42; 73-77 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2016.04.004 [IF 1.591] [H index 49] [Journal ranking 74/533 in Nursing].
- Traynor, V.; Burns, P. & Britten, N. (2016) Developing the delirium care pathways Journal of Research in Nursing 21(8); 582-596. DOI: 10.1177/1744987116661377 (H Index 19) [Journal ranking 423/533 in Nursing]
- Brighton, R., Moxham, L. & Traynor, V. (2016). Women and alcohol use disorders: factors that lead to harm. Journal of Addictions Nursing, 27(3); 205-213. [IF 0.48] [H Index 11] [26/41 Psychiatric Mental Health]
- Darragh, M.; Traynor, V. & Joyce-McCoach, J. (2016) Effects of interventions for the development of leadership skills among nurses: a systematic review protocol JBI Database of Systematic Reviews and Implementation Reports 14 (6); pp. 3–13. doi: 10.11124/JBISRIR-2016-001990.
- Traynor, V. & Devries, L. (2016) Editorial: Access to Rehabilitation Services: A ‘fair go’ for individuals living with a dementia Journal of Australian Association of Rehabilitation Nurses, 19(2); 5-7.
- Brett, L.; Stapley, P.; & Traynor, V. (2016) Effects of Physical Exercise on Health and Well Being of Individuals Living with a Dementia in Nursing Homes: A Systematic Review Journal of the American Medical Directors Association 17(2); 104-116. [IF 4.781] [5/49 Geriatrics and Gerontology].
- Traynor V, Cordato N, Burns P, Xu Y, Britten N, Duncan K, DeVries L & McKinnon C. (2016) Is Delirium Being Detected in Emergency? Australasian Journal on Ageing. 35(1); 54-57 [IF 0.678] [47/50 in Geriatrics and Gerontology] [H index 17].