Dr Stephen Barnett, Senior Lecturer: General Practice & Educational Technology
Dr Stephen Barnett is a General Practitioner in Bowral, NSW. His interests focus on the intersection of medical education, health care delivery and information technology. In 2014, he completed his PhD on the role of Virtual Communities of Practice in GP training.
Stephen is also the co-founder and medical director of
www.e-healthspace.com.au, Australia’s largest online medical community, and provides expert advice to health and industry on engaging with doctors via social media.
- Barnett S, Jones SC, Caton T, Iverson D, Bennett S, Robinson L. Implementing a Virtual Community of Practice for Family Physician Training: A Mixed-Methods Case Study. J Med Internet Res 2014;16(3):e83
- Bonney A, Knight-Billington P, Mullan J, Moscova M, Barnett S et al. “The telehealth skills, training, and implementation project: an evaluation protocol” (2015) Journal of Medical Internet Research – Research Protocols JMIR research protocols. 01/2015; 4(1):e2
- Dijkmans-Hadley B, Bonney A, Barnett S. “Development of an Australian practice based research network as a Community of Practice” (2014) Australian Journal of Primary Health (accepted, awaiting publication)
- Li X, Gray K, Chang S, Elliott K, Barnett S. “A conceptual model for analysing informal learning in online social networks for health professionals”. Studies in Health Technology and Informatics 01/2014; 204:80-5.
- Barnett S, Jones S, Bennett S, Iverson D, Robinson L. “A Virtual Community of Practice for General Practice Training: a pre-implementation survey using the Health VCoP Framework” (2015 - in press) BMC Family Practice.
- Martin SJ, North LM, Thomas ML, Jones CT, Loh SS, Mecs GM, Cook AT, Barnett SR, Smith BJ. “Awareness of the National Asthma Campaign” Med J Aust. 1993 May 3;158(9):648-9.
- Barnett S, Jones SC, Bennett S, Iverson D, Bonney A. 'Usefulness of a virtual community of practice and Web 2.0 tools for general practice training: experiences and expectations of general practitioner registrars and supervisors'. (2013) Australian Journal of Primary Health
- Barnett S, Jones, S, Bennett, S, Iverson, D, Bonney, A. 'Perceptions of Family Physician Trainees and Trainers Regarding the Usefulness of a Virtual Community of practice'. (2013) Journal of Medical Internet Research, Vol 15 No 5
- Barnett S, Jones SC, Bennet S, Iverson DC, Bonney A. 'General practice training and virtual communities of practice - a review of the literature'. (2012) BMC Family Practice, 13, 87-109.
- Barnett S, The role of virtual communities of practice in overcoming isolation and improving knowledge sharing in general practice training in Australia (2014) http://ro.uow.edu.au/theses/4211/
- Barnett S & Van Duuren T. (2014). ConnectGPR 2014: the CoastCityCountry online network for an educational community of training for GP registrars gets bigger and better. 2014 General Practice Education and Training Convention: General paper abstracts (pp. 1-1). Australia: GPET.
- MacKinnon D, Bonney A, Mayne D & Barnett S. (2014). Weighing in General Practice: does it have an impact on weight management?. 2014 Primary Health Care Research Conference: Program & Abstracts (pp. 1-1). Australia: Primary Health Care
- Barnett S. (2013). ConnectGPR: implementing a virtual community of practice for general practice training. Medicine 2.0: 6th World Congress on Social Media, Mobile Apps, Internet/Web 2.0 (p. 1). London: Medicine 2.0.
- Barnett S, Caton T, Jones SC, Iverson D, Bennet S. CONNECTGPR: Coast City Country online network for an educational community of training for GP registrars. A case study. Paper presented to the 2012 GPET Convention: Academic papers - Evaluations, GPET Ltd Australia, 5-6 September 2012, Melbourne.
- Barnett S. 'Utilising eHealth technologies to improve efficiency and reduce cost', paper presented to the BioPharma Australasia Convention, Sydney, 23-24 August 2012.
- Bonney AD, Dijkmans-Hadley BR & Barnett S. 'Development of an Australian practice based research network in a resource limited context'. (2012) North American Primary Care Research Group (NAPCRG) Practice-Based Research Network Conference (pp. 12-12). USA: North American Primary Care Research Group.
- Barnett S. 'Virtual communities of practice in medicine', paper presented to the Social Media in Healthcare Conference, Sydney 2012: Informa
- Barnett S. 2011. 'How to utilise digital marketing to create engaging digital content for healthcare professionals', paper presented to the 2011 Digital Pharma Marketing World Australia Conference, Sydney, Australia, 28-30 November 2011.
- Barnett S, Jones S, Barrie L, Bonney A, Iverson D. 2011. 'General practice training, Web 2.0 and virtual communities of practice', paper presented to the 2011 GPET Convention: Academic papers. GPET Ltd, Australia, 7-8 September 2011.
- Barnett S, Jones S, Barrie L, Bonney A, Iverson D. 2011. 'General Practice training, Web 2.0 and Virtual Communities of Practice', paper presented to the 2011 Primary Health Care Research Conference. Primary Health Care Research and Information Service, Australia, 13-15 July 2011.
Email addresses are in the form email@example.com
|Email Alias: |
|Phone:||+61 2 4221 4613|
|Fax:||+61 2 4221 4341|