Senior Professor Stephen Pyne
B.Sc.(Hons), University of Adelaide, 1975, Top first class honours, (Organic Chemistry)
Ph.D., Australian National University, 1979 (with Prof. L. N. Mander)
Lab phone: +61 2 4221 4388
Phone No: +61 2 42 21 3511
- Senior Professor
- New methods for the asymmetric synthesis of bioactive molecules. The total synthesis of bioactive natural products, especially alkaloids, and natural product-like scaffolds for new drug discovery. The discovery of new metal catalysed reactions. Natural products and fullerene chemistry.
- Synthesis of Hyacinthacine B3 and purported Hyacinthacine B7, C. W. G. Au, R.J. Nash and S. G. Pyne, Chem Commun. 2010, 46, 713-715.
- Total synthesis of uniflorine A, casuarine, australine, 3-epi-australine, and 3, 7-diepi-australine from a common precursor, T. Ritthiwigrom, A.C. Willis, and S.G. Pyne, J. Org. Chem. 2010, 75, 815-824.
- Concise synthesis of steviamine and analogues and their glycosidase inhibitory activities, N. Jiangseubchatveera, M. E. Bouillon, B. Liawruangrath, S. Liawruangrath, R.J. Nash, S.G. Pyne, Org. Biomol. Chem. 2013, 11, 3826–3833.
- Alkaloids from the roots of Stichoneuron caudatum Ridley (Stemonaceae) and their acetylcholinesterase inhibitory activities, R.A. Ramli, W. Lie, S.G. Pyne, J. Nat. Prod. 2014, 77, 894–901.
- Fullerene van der Waals Oligomers as Electron Traps, T.E. Shubina, D.I. Sharapa, C. Schubert, D. Zahn, M. Halik, P.A. Keller, S.G. Pyne, S. Jennepalli, D.M. Guldi, T. Clark, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2014, 136, 10890–10893.
- Regioselective and Diastereoselective Borono-Mannich Reactions with Pinacol Allenylboronate, T. Thaima, S.G.; Pyne, Org. Lett. 2015, 17, 778–781.
Asymmetric Synthesis of Bioactive Alkaloids and Heretocylic Drug-like Scaffolds
- Asma Alyamani: Asymmetric Synthesis of Polyhydroxylated Pyrrolidines
- Anthony Carroll: Asymmetric Synthesis of Hyacinthacine C Alkaloids; structure elucidation and glycosidase inhibitory activities
- Thanapat Thaima: Asymmetric Synthesis of bioactive (anti-malarial) alkaloids
- Greg Ryder: Synthesis of novel drug-like heterocyclic scaffolds for new drug discovery
- Liam Joyce (Hons and RA): Synthesis of functionalized Allenes and their metal-catalysed reactions (with Chris Hyland)
- Fardad Zamani: Asymmetric Synthesis of functionalized Allenes and their metal-catalysed reactions (with Chris Hyland)
Development of new Antibacterial Agents Against Clostridium difficile INFECTIONS (with Paul Keller)
- Andrew Tague
- Muni Kumar Mahadari
Natural Products Chemistry
- Christiana Joshua Dawurung: Phytochemical Studies on Nigerian Traditional Medicinal Plants
Suggested Topics for Future Students
- Asymmetric Synthesis of Bioactive Alkaloid.
- Drug Design and Synthesis
- Natural Products Chemistry
- Fullerene Chemistry
- B.Sc.(Hons), University of Adelaide, 1975, Top first class honours, (Organic Chemistry).
- Ph.D., Australian National University, 1979 (with Prof. L. N. Mander).
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Purdue University, USA, April 1979-June 1981
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Harvard University, USA, July 1981-July 1983
- Research Fellow, LaTrobe University, Victoria, October 1983 to January 1985
- Lecturer (1985-88), Senior Lecturer (1989-92), A. Professor (1993-7), Professor (1998-2013), Senior Professor (2014-) School of Chemistry, University of Wollongong
- Vice Chancellors' Award for Research Partnerships, 2009
- Vice Chancellor's Research Excellence for Senior Researcher Award recipient: Commendation for 2010
- A.J. Birch Medal for excellence in Organic Chemistry Research, from the Organic Division of the Royal Australian Chemical Institute, 2012
- Archibald Ollé Prize for Chemical Literature, from the Royal Australian Chemical Institute, 2015
- William Evans Visiting Fellow, University of Otago 2016.
Current CV [PDF]
Research Summary Poster [PPT]