Senior Professor David Griffith
BSc Hons (Monash), PhD (Monash)
Lab Phone: +61 2 4221 4239
Office Phone: +61 2 4221 3515
- Senior Professsor
- Carbon cycle and climate
- Atmospheric remote sensing
- Greenhouse impacts of agriculture
- Isotopic analysis of atmospheric trace gases
- Biosphere-atmosphere exchange of trace gases
- FTIR spectroscopy applications to atmospheric chemistry
Atmospheric Chemistry and Spectroscopy
Research in atmospheric chemistry is concerned with measurements and interpretation of atmospheric trace gas composition and the exchange of trace gases between the atmosphere, biosphere and geosphere. These studies are aimed at a better understanding of the budgets, sources and sinks of trace gases important in atmospheric chemistry, the greenhouse effect, climate change, stratospheric ozone chemistry and ultraviolet radiation. These gases include CO2, CH4 , N2O, CO, O3 , NH3 , NO, NO2, water vapour and many others.
Our research involves a strong component of development of novel applications of spectroscopy (especially FTIR spectroscopy) for measurements of atmospheric trace gas composition and fluxes.
Atmospheric Chemistry Research Group
Griffith, D. W. T. (2002). FTIR measurements of atmospheric trace gases and their fluxes. Handbook of Vibrational Spectroscopy. J. M. Chalmers and P. R. Griffiths, John Wiley & Sons. 4: 2823-2841.
Turatti, F., D.W.T. Griffith, S.R. Wilson, M.B. Esler, T. Rahn, H. Zhang, G. Blake, and M. Wahlen, Positionally dependent 15N fractionation factors in the photolysis of N 2 O determined by high resolution FTIR spectroscopy, Geophys. Res. Lett., 27 (16), 2489-2492, 2000.
Griffith, D.W.T., Toon, G.C., Sen, B., Blavier, J.-F., and Toth, R.A., 2000. Vertical profiles of nitrous oxide isotopomer fractionation measured in the stratosphere. Geophysical Research Letters, 27 (16), 2485-2488.
Esler, M.B., D.W.T. Griffith, S.R. Wilson, and L.P. Steele, Precision trace gas analysis by FT-IR spectroscopy, Anal. Chem., 72 (1), 206-215 and 216-221, 2000.
Griffith, D.W.T., and B. Galle, Flux measurements of NH3, N2O and CO2 using dual beam FTIR spectroscopy and the flux-gradient technique, Atmos. Environ., 34 (7), 1087-1098, 2000.
Leuning, R., S.K. Baker, I.M. Jamie, C.H. Hsu, L. Klein, O.T. Denmead, and D.W.T. Griffith, Methane emission from free ranging sheep: a comparison of two measurement methods, Atmos. Environ., 33 (9), 1357-1365, 1999.
Griffith, D.W.T., N.B. Jones, and W.A. Matthews, Interhemispheric ratio and annual cycle of carbonyl sulfide (OCS) total column from ground based solar FTIR spectra, J. Geophys. Res., 103 (D7), 8447-8454, 1998.
Griffith, D.W.T., Synthetic calibration and quantitative analysis of gas phase infrared spectra, Applied Spectroscopy, 50 (1), 59-70, 1996.
Griffith, D. W. T., G. R. Bryant, D. Hsu, and A. R. Reisinger (2008), Methane emissions from free-ranging cattle: comparison of tracer and integrated horizontal flux techniques, J. Environ. Qual., 37(2), 582-591.
Griffith, D. W. T., S. D. Parkes, V. Haverd, C. Paton-Walsh, and S. R. Wilson (2009), Absolute calibration of the intramolecular site preference of 15N fractionation in tropospheric N2O by FTIR spectroscopy, Analytical Chemistry, 81, 2227-2234.
Searchable RIS publications from 2000 to date
Suggested Topics for Future Students
Isotopic analysis, quantifying sources and sinks for atmospheric trace gases:
FTIR remote sensing of the atmosphere
Tropospheric chemistry - carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases, especially agricultural sources
Stratospheric chemistry, species relevant to ozone depletion
Validation of satellite instruments by ground-based remote sensing
Fluxes of trace gases between the atmosphere and earth's surface
- 1970: BSc Hons (Monash)
- 1975: PhD (Monash)
- 1986-present Chemistry, University of Wollongong
- 1980-1986 Staff Scientist, Max Planck Institute for Chemistry, Mainz , Germany
- 1978-1980 CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellow/Visiting Scientist. National Center for Atmospheric Research, Boulder , Colorado , USA .
- 1975-1978 Postdoctoral Fellow, Research School of Chemistry , ANU
Fellowships and Awards
- 2002: Velux Visiting Professor and invited lecturer in Atmospheric Chemistry, University of Copenhagen
- 2001: National Research Council ( USA ) Senior Research Associate, NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory
- 1997: CIRES Senior Fellowship, University of Colorado , USA
- 1989: Senior Fulbright Scholar, National Centre for Atmospheric Research (NCAR), Boulder CO , USA .
- 1978: CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship, taken at NCAR, Boulder, CO