Professor James Wallman
PhD University of Adelaide
BSc (Hons) University of Adelaide
Lab / Phone: B15.G08 / +61 2 4221 4117
Office / Phone: B35.G19C / +61 2 4221 3013
- Head of School
- Evolution and biology of Diptera, especially Calliphoridae and Sarcophagidae
- Forensic entomology
Wallman JF (2001) Third-instar larvae of common carrion-breeding blowflies of the genus Calliphora (Diptera: Calliphoridae) in South Australia. Invertebrate Taxonomy 15: 37-51.
Wallman JF, Leys R & Hogendoorn K (2005) Molecular systematics of Australian carrion-breeding blowflies (Diptera: Calliphoridae) based on mitochondrial DNA. Invertebrate Systematics 19: 1-15.
Nelson LA, Dowton M & Wallman JF (2009) Thermal attributes of Chrysomya species. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 133, 260-275.
Johnson AP, Mikac K & Wallman JF (2013) Thermogenesis in decomposing carcasses. Forensic Science International 231: 271-277.
Meiklejohn KA, Wallman JF, Pape T, Cameron SL & Dowton M (2013) Utility of COI, CAD and morphological data for resolving relationships within the genus Sarcophaga (sensu lato) (Diptera: Sarcophagidae): a preliminary study. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 69: 133-141.
Jones SD, Byrne PG & Wallman JF (2014) Mating success is predicted by the interplay between multiple male and female traits in the small hairy maggot blowfly. Animal Behaviour 97: 193-200.
- Nathan Butterworth – chemoreception in flies
- Nikolas Johnston – systematics of Sarcophagidae
- Nathan Butterworth - BMedBiotech (Hons)
- Aidan Johnson - PhD
- Stephanie Jones - BMedBiotech (Hons)
- Christopher Kavazos - BSc (Hons)
- Kelly Meiklejohn - PhD
- Christina Mullany - BSc (Hons)
- Jay Perry - BMedBiotech (Hons)
- 1999 Ph.D. (entomology), The University of Adelaide.
- 1991 B.Sc. (Hons) (zoology), The University of Adelaide.
- 1990 B.Sc. (zoology and botany), The University of Adelaide.
Academic and Research Appointments
- 2015- Head, School of Biological Sciences, University of Wollongong.
- 2014-2015 Head of Students, Faculty of Science, Medicine and Health, University of Wollongong.
- 2013-2014 Sub-Dean, Faculty of Science, Medicine and Health, University of Wollongong.
- 2017-present Professor, School of Biological Sciences, University of Wollongong.
- 2012-2017 Associate Professor, School of Biological Sciences, University of Wollongong.
- 2006-2011 Senior Lecturer, School of Biological Sciences, University of Wollongong.
- 2001-2005 Lecturer, School of Biological Sciences, University of Wollongong.
- 1999-2001 Associate Lecturer, Department of Environmental Biology, The University of Adelaide.
- 1994-1998 Associate Lecturer, Department of Zoology, The University of Adelaide.
- 1991-1993 Tutor, Department of Zoology, The University of Adelaide.
- 2011 Australian Learning and Teaching Council: Citation for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning
- 2011 Australian College of Educators: Recognition Award for Contribution to Tertiary and Outreach Teaching
- 2005 Faculty of Science Award for Outstanding Contribution to Teaching and Learning, University of Wollongong
- 1999 Dean's Certificate of Merit for Excellence in Teaching, Faculty of Science, The University of Adelaide.
- Fellow of the Faculty of Science of the Royal College of Pathologists of Australasia
- Fellow of the Royal Entomological Society of London
- Fellow of the Royal Society of South Australia
- Member of the Australian Entomological Society
- Member of the Australian and New Zealand Forensic Science Society (National Secretary)
- Member of the Entomological Society of New South Wales
- Member of the European Association for Forensic Entomology
- Member of the North American Forensic Entomology Association
- Member of the Royal Society of New South Wales
- Member of the Society of Australian Systematic Biologists