Dr Jason McArthur
PhD UOW, BSc (Honours 1st class) UOW
Phone: +61 2 4221 5650
- Research Fellow
- Topical drug delivery
- Bacterial pathogenesis
- Bacterial activators of human plasminogen
- Post infectious kidney disease
Sweetman LJ, Alcock LJ, McArthur JD, Stewart EM, Triani G, In Het Panhuis M and Ralph S (2013) Bacterial Filtration Using Carbon Nanotube/Antibiotic Buckypaper Membranes. J Nanomat. vol. 2013, Article ID 781212, 11 pages, 2013. doi:10.1155/2013/781212.
JMC2. Jalilian I, Spildrejorde M, Seavers A, Curtis BL, McArthur JD, Sluyter R (2012) Functional expression of the damage-associated molecular pattern receptor P2X7 on canine kidney epithelial cells. Vet Immunol and Immunopathol 150 228– 233.
Cook SM, Skora A., Gillan CM., Walker MJ., McArthur JD, (2012) Streptokinase variants from Streptococcus pyogenes isolates display altered plasminogen activation characteristics – implications for pathogenesis. Mol Micro 85 (5) 1052-1062.
Maamary PG, Ben Zakoura NL, Cole JC, Hollands A, Aziz RK, Barnett T, Cork AJ, Henningham A, Sanderson-Smith M, McArthur JD, Venturini C, Gillen CM, Kirk JK, Johnson DR, Taylor WL, Kaplan EL, Kotb M, Nizet V, Beatson SA, and Walker MJ. 2012. Tracing the evolutionary history of the pandemic group A streptococcal M1T1 clone. FASEB J. 26 (5) 4675-84.
Sanderson-Smith ML, De Oliveira D, Ranson M, McArthur JD. (2012). Bacterial plasminogen receptors: Mediators of a multifaceted relationship. Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology. vol. 2012, Article ID 272148, 14 pages, 2012. doi:10.1155/2012/272148
McArthur JD, Cook SM, Venturini C, Walker MJ. (2012). The role of streptokinase as a virulence determinant of Streptococcus pyogenes – potential for therapeutic targeting. Current Drug Targets 13: 297-307. (IF 4.2)
Su, S. P., B. Lyons, M. Friedrich, J. D. McArthur, X. Song, D. Xavier, J. A. Aquilina, and R. J. Truscott. 2012. Molecular signatures of long-lived proteins: Autolytic cleavage adjacent to serine residues. Aging Cell. (ePub July 17)
Shih-Ping Su; Jason D McArthur; Michael G. Fredrich, Roger J Truscott; J. Andrew Aquilina (2011) Understanding the α-crystallin cell membrane conjunction. Mol Vis 17: 2798-2807.
Shih-Ping Su; Jason D McArthur; Roger J Truscott; J. Andrew Aquilina (2011) Truncation, cross-linking and interaction of crystallins and intermediate filament proteins in the aging human lens. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta - Proteins and Proteomics 1814(5): 647-656. (IF 2.48).
Peter G. Maamary, Martina L. Sanderson-Smith, Ramy K. Aziz , Andrew Hollands, Jason N. Cole, Fiona C. McKay, Jason D. McArthur, Joshua K. Kirk, Amanda J. Cork, Rachael J. Keefe, Rita G. Kansal, Hongmin Sun, William L. Taylor, Gursharan S. Chhatwal, David Ginsburg, Victor Nizet, Malak Kotb and Mark J. Walker (2010) Parameters governing invasive disease propensity of non-M1 serotype group a streptococci. J Innate Immun.2: 596-606. (IF 2.614)
Shih-Ping Su, Jason D. McArthur, J. Andrew Aquilina (2010) Localization of Low Molecular Weight Crystallin Peptides in the Aging Human Lens using a MALDI Mass Spectrometry Imaging Approach. Experimental Eye Research 91(1). 97-103. (IF 2.579)
McArthur JD, McKay FC, Ramachandran V, Shyam P, Cork AJ, Sanderson-Smith ML, Cole JN, Ringdahl U, Sjobring U, Ranson M, Walker MJ (2008) Allelic variants of streptokinase from Streptococcus pyogenes display functional differences in plasminogen activation. FASEB J. 22, 3146-53. (IF 6.791)
Sanderson-Smith, M.L., Dinkla, K., Cole, J.N., Cork, A.J., Maamary, P.G., McArthur, J.D., Chhatwal, G.S., Walker, M.J. (2008) M protein mediated plasminogen binding is essential for the virulence of an invasive Streptococcus pyogenes isolate. FASEB J. 22, 2715-22. (IF 6.791).
Walker MJ, Hollands A, Sanderson-Smith M, Cole JN, Kirk J, Henningham A, McArthur JD, Dinkla K, Aziz R, Kansal R, Simpson A, Buchanen J, Chhatwal G, Kotb M, Nizet V. (2007). DNase-mediated resistance to neutrophil killing provides selection pressure for a genetic and phenotypic switch promoting invasive group A streptococcal infection. Nat Med 13(8): 981-5. (IF 28.59)
Cole JN, McArthur JD, McKay FC, Sanderson-Smith ML, Cork AJ, Ranson M, Rohde M, Itzek A, Sun H, Ginsburg D, Kotb M, Nizet V, Chhatwal GS, and Walker MJ (2006). Trigger for group A streptococcal M1T1 invasive disease. FASEB J. 20, 1745-7. (IF 7.064)
McArthur, J. D. and M. J. Walker (2006). Domains of group A streptococcal M protein that confer resistance to phagocytosis, opsonization and protection: implications for vaccine development. Mol Microbiol. 59, 1-4. (IF 6.203)
Walker, MJ., McArthur, JD. McKay, FC., and Ranson, M. (2005) Is plasminogen deployed as a Streptococcus pyogenes virulence factor. Trends Microbiol. 13, 308-13. (IF 8.16)
McArthur, JD., E. Medina, A. Mueller, J. Chin, B. J. Currie, K. S. Sriprakash, S. R. Talay, G. S. Chhatwal and M. J. Walker (2004). Intranasal vaccination with streptococcal fibronectin binding protein Sfb1 fails to prevent growth and dissemination of Streptococcus pyogenes in a murine skin infection model. Infect Immun 72, 7342-5. (IF 3.875)
Ramachandran, V., J. D. McArthur, C. E. Behm, C. Gutzeit, M. Dowton, P. K. Fagan, R. Towers, B. Currie, K. S. Sriprakash and M. J. Walker (2004). Two distinct genotypes of prtF2, encoding a fibronectin binding protein, and evolution of the gene family in Streptococcus pyogenes. J Bacteriol 186, 7601-9. (IF 4.175)
Fiona C McKay, Jason D McArthur, Martina L Sanderson-Smith, Sandra Gardam, Bart J Currie, Kadaba S Sriprakash, Peter K Fagan, Rebecca J. Towers, Michael R. Batzloff, Gursharan S Chhatwal, Marie Ranson and Mark J Walker (2004). Plasminogen binding by group A streptococcal isolates from a tropical region with hyperendemic streptococcal skin infection and a high incidence of invasive infection. Infect Immun 72: 364-370. (IF 3.875)
McArthur JD, West NP, Cole JN, Jungnitz H, Guzman CA, Chin J, Lehrbach PR, Djordjevic SP, Walker MJ (2003). An aromatic amino acid auxotrophic mutant of Bordetella bronchiseptica is attenuated and immunogenic in a mouse model of infection. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 221: 7-16. (IF 1.932)
DelVecchio A., Bart J. Currie, Jason D. McArthur, Mark J. Walker and KS Sriprakash (2002). Streptococcus pyogenes prtFII, but not sfbI, sfbII or fbp54 is represented more frequently among invasive-disease isolates of tropical Australia. Epidemiol Infect. 128: 391-396 (IF 1.509)
West N. P., Heidrun Jugnitz, John T. Fitter, Jason D. McArthur, Carlos A. Guzman and Mark J. Walker (2000). Role of phosphoglucomutase of B. bronchiseptica in lipopolysaccharide biosynthesis and virulence. Infect Immun. 68: 4673-4680. (IF 3.875)
- Simon Cook (2009 to present). Molecular characterisation of streptokinase variants from Streptococcus pyogenes.
- Fanyu Zhang (2013 to present). Optimising microemulsion formulations for the topical delivery of antimicrobials
- Catherine Rout (2013). Characterising the intrinsic antimicrobial properties of microemulsion formulations.
Suggested Topics for Future Students
- Transdermal antimicrobial delivery using microemulsions.
- Antibiofilm activity of topical microemulsion formulations.
- Investigating post infectious kidney disease using a transgenic mouse model.
- Characterising the role of streptokinase polymorphism in the pathogenesis of Streptococcus pyogenes.
- 2012 to present Lecturer in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (level C), School of Biological Sciences, University of Wollongong.
- 2009 to 2011 Research Fellow. School of Biological Sciences, University of Wollongong. Investigating streptokinase polymorphism in Streptococcus pyogenes.
- 2006 to 2009 Lecturer in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (level B), School of Biological Sciences, University of Wollongong.
- 2004 to 2006 Associate Research Fellow at the University of Wollongong. Investigating the interaction of group A streptococcus with the plasminogen activation system.
- 2002 to 2004 Research Officer at the Queensland Institute of Medical Research. Characterising the fibronectin binding protein PrtF2 of group A streptococcus. (During this period I worked as a visiting fellow for 3 months in a collaborating laboratory at the GBF National Research Centre for Biotechnology, Braunschweig, Germany in the laboratory of Professor Chhatwal).
- 1999 to 2002 Associate Research Fellow at the University of Wollongong. Investigating the development of an anti-adhesive vaccine against group A streptococcus. (During this period I worked as a visiting fellow for 3 months in a collaborating laboratory at the GBF National Research Centre for Biotechnology, Braunschweig, Germany in the laboratory of Professor Chhatwal).
- 2003 PhD, Department of Biological Sciences, University Of Wollongong. Thesis title: “Rational attenuation of Bordetella species for vaccine purposes”.
- 1994 Bachelor of Biotechnology Bachelor of Biotechnology (honours 1st class) Biological Sciences, University of Wollongong. Thesis title: “Expression of Erysipelothrix rhusiopathiae antigen genes in attenuated Salmonella typhimurium aroA for oral immunisation in mice”.