Professor Kristine French
PhD, Monash University, 1989
B.Sc(Hons) University of Sydney 1984
Office Phone: +61 2 4221 3655
Office Location: B35.G15
Lab Phone: +61 2 4221 3436
Lab Location: B35.G15
Director of the Janet Cosh Herbarium.
My research investigates how anthropogenic disturbances interrupt populations and communities. My work involves many different kinds of organisms (plants and animals) in a range of different communities from arid grasslands, forests, and dunes to cities. The questions underlying these studies revolve around understanding the patterns of change and investigating the differences in the mechanisms by which disturbances change communities and ecosystem processes. One area that has been a significant focus in the lab has been to investigate how weed invasion influences community properties and what features of a weed are critical to the process of invasion. A second focus has investigated changes in communities in cities as a result of urbanisation. I am currently involved in a new research program investigating plant stress under future heat waves and we are also focusing on arbuscular mycorrhizae and their role in weed invasion, plant stress and restoration.
For potential research topics and information, see following pages
Ecosystem impacts of locust control in arid zones
- PhD, Monash University, 1989
- B.Sc(Hons) University of Sydney 1984
Current Professional Activities
- Professor, School of Biological Sciences
- Director, Janet Cosh Herbarium, University of Wollongong
- ERA Discipline Leader, Environmental Science
- Coordinator, Bachelor of Conservation Biology
- ARC College of Experts
- Handling Editor, Austral Ecology
- Handling Editor, Conservation Biology
- Birds in Backyards Steering Committee
- Holsworth Endowment Fund Committee
Membership of Professional Roles
- NSW Weed Society
- Ecological Society of Australia
- Birdlife Australia
- Society for Conservation Biology
- 2009 ESA prize for service to the society for developing the postgraduate research prizes.
- 2008 Eureka Prize. NSW Dept of Env. and Climate Change Allen Strom Award for Environmental Sustainability Education, for Birds in Backyards.
- French, K, Robinson S, Lia J (in press) Thermotolerance capacities of native and exotic coastal plants will lead to changes in species composition under increased heat waves. Conservation Physiology.
- Maute, K., French, K., Story, P., Bull, C.M., Hose, G.C (2017) Short and long-term impacts of ultra-low-volume pesticide and biopesticide applications for locust control on non-target arid zone arthropods. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 240, 233-243
- Crocker, W., Maute, K., Webb, C., French, K. (2017) Mosquito assemblages associated with urban water bodies: implications for pest and public health threats. Landscape and Urban planning 162: 115-125
- French K, Smith L, Watts, E , Robinson S (2017) Invasive alien lianas have similar allometry to native lianas in temperate forest. Biol Invasions 19: 1029-37
- Maute, K., Story, P., Hose, G.C., Bull, C.M., French, K. (2017) Applications of fipronil (Adonis 3UL) and Metarhizium acridum for use against locusts have minimal effect on litter decomposition and microbial functional diversity in Australian arid grassland Soil Research 55:172-181
- Mason, T.J., French, K., Jolley, D.F (2017) Functional richness and identity do not strongly affect invasibility of constructed dune communities PLoS ONE 12 (1), e016924
- Muller-Stover, D. Nybroe, O. Baraibar, B. Loddo, D. Eizenberg, H. French, K. Sonderskov, M. Neve, P. Peltzer, D.A. Maczey N. and Christensen. S. (2016). Contribution of the seed microbiome contribute to weed management. Weed Research 56:335-39.
- Correia M, Montesinos D, French K and Rodriguez-Echeverria S. (2016) Evidence for enemy release and increased seed production and size for two invasive Australian acacias J Ecol 104:1391-1399
- Maute, K., French, K., Story, P., Bull, C.M., Hose, G.C. (2016) Effects of two locust control methods on wood-eating termites in arid Australia. Journal of Insect Conservation, 20:107-118
- French K, Watts, E (2015) Patterns of loss of biodiversity associated with invasion by Chrysanthemoides monilifera (L.) Norl. subsp. monilifera (boneseed) across a large geographic region. Weed Research 55 (6), 537-545
- Story, PG, French, K, Astheimer, LB, Buttemer, WA (2015) Fenitrothion, an organophosphorus insecticide, impairs locomotory function and alters body temperatures in Sminthopsis macroura (Gould 1845) without reducing metabolic rates during running endurance and thermogenic performance tests. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry. 35, 152-162
- Delgado-V, C, French K (2015) Differential influence of urbanisation on Coccidian infection in two passerine birds Parasitol Res 114, 2231-2235
- Maute, K, French K, Bull M, Story, P, Hose, G (2015) Current insecticide treatments used in locust control have less of a short-term impact on Australian arid-zone reptile communities than does temporal variation. Wildlife Research, 2015, 42, 50–59
- Maute, K, French K, Legge, S, Astheimer L, Garnett, S (2015) Condition index monitoring support conservation priorities for the protection of threatened grass-finch population. Conservation Physiology 3, cov025
- Bramley‐Alves J, Robinson S, Wapstra E, and French K (2015) Moss δ13C: an accurate proxy for past water environments in polar regions. Global Change Biology 21, 2454 – 2464
- Gooden, B. & French, K. (2014) Impacts of alien plant invasion on native plant communities are mediated by functional identity of resident species, not resource availability. Oikos 124, 298-306
- Norton, MA, Prentice, A, Dingle, J, French, K, Claridge, A (2015) Population characteristics and management of the long-nosed potoroo (Potorus tridactylus) in high-quality habitat in the Southern Highlands of New South Wales. Australian Mammalogy 37, 67 – 74
- Andersen A, Beringer J, Bull M, Byrne M, Cleugh H, Christensen R, French K, Harch B, Hoffman, A, Lowe, AJ, Moltmann T, Nicotra A, Pitman A, Phinn S, Wardle G, Westoby M. (2014) Foundations for the future: A long-term plan for Australian ecosystem science. Austral Ecology 39, 739–748
- Aguiar, AC, French, K, Chisholm, LA (2014) A comparison of the ameliorating effects of native and exotic street trees on surface heat retention at dusk. Urban Climate 10, 56–62
- Gooden, B. French, K. Robinson, S. (2014). Alien grass disrupts reproduction and post-settlement recruitment of co-occurring native vegetation: a mechanism for diversity decline in invaded forest? Plant Ecology, 215(5), 567-580
- Gooden, B. and French, K. (2014) Non-interactive effects of plant invasion and landscape modification on native communities. Diversity and Distributions.20, 626-639.
- Gooden, B. and French, K. (2014) Impacts of alien grass invasion in coastal seed banks vary amongst native growth forms and dispersal strategies. Biological Conservation 171, 114-126
- Baker J., Harvey, KJ and French, K (2014) Threats from introduced birds to native birds. Emu, Rowley review 114, 1-12.
Kristen Miller (UTS) Heat stress responses in desert plants
Axton Aguiar Plant Stress and facilitation in urban gardens
Mitchell Stares The development of coarse woody debris as habitat for fauna in forests
Alison Haynes The role of moss in facilitating plant survival in extreme climates
Andrew Vossen Heat stress in seeds of fire prone environments
Ellen Ryan-Colton (CDU) Ecosystem impacts of buffel grass invasion in arid areas
- Simone Haider – The distribution of biocontrol agents for gorse
- Kim Barrett - Evaluating biocontrol agents of bitou bush
- Paul Story – The effect of fenitrothion on dasyurid physiology.
- Jake Vickers – Changes in sex ratios in Noisy Miner colonies following management.
- Julia Rayment – The role of mycorrhizae in influencing plant plant interactions at the seedling stage.