Associate Professor Anthony Dosseto
BSc Université Paris 7, France
MSc Université Paris 7, France
PhD Université Paris 7, France
Phone: +61 2 4221 4805
- Associate Professor
- Founder of the Wollongong Isotope Geochronology Laboratory, University of Wollongong
- Associate Editor, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta
- Senior Lecturer, School of Earth & Environmental Sciences, University of Wollongong (since 2010)
- ARC Future Fellow, School of Earth & Environmental Sciences, University of Wollongong (2010-2015)
- Lecturer, School of Earth & Environmental Sciences, University of Wollongong (2009-2010)
- Macquarie University Research Fellow, Department of Earth & Planetary Sciences, Macquarie University (2008-2009)
- Research Associate, Department of Environment & Geography, Macquarie University (2007-2008)
- Research Associate, Department of Earth & Planetary Sciences, Macquarie University (2004-2007)
- PhD, Université Paris 7, France
ARC Future Fellowship (2010-2014);
Macquarie University Research Fellowship (2008-2010).
Editorial Board: Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta
- Environmental response to past climate change. In my research group, we use isotopic proxies (U, Li, B) to reconstruct past environmental conditions and study how the Earth’s surface adapt to changes in climate during the Quaternary.
- Chemical weathering, soil development and global carbon cycle. We use of uranium-series and cosmogenic isotopes to investigate how weathering profiles develop, which has implications for understanding weathering rates and carbon dioxide consumption.
- Isotope biochemistry. In this new field of research, we use copper isotope ratios to study how the metabolism of this metal is related to neuro-degenerative diseases.
- Quaternary geochronology. Uranium-series dating of carbonates is applied to reconstruct past environments and assist in archaeological projects.
- Landscape evolution. We use cosmogenic isotopes to investigate rates of landscape evolution (evolution of the Illawarra escarpment, erosion rates in the Himalaya, etc…).
- Re-constructing how Quaternary environments have responded to past climate change using isotopic proxies (ARC Discovery Project DP140100354)
- Application of U-Th dating of carbonates to Quaternary science and archaeology
- Investigating the role of metals in neurodegenerative diseases using isotopes
Potential Honours and PhD Topics
- Paleo-climate in the Flinders Ranges, south Australia. Looking for a more humid Australia (Honours).
- Earthquake frequency in the Andes during the Quaternary (PhD).
- The role of landscape evolution on soil formation in the Sierra Nevada, California (Honours).
- Quantifying rates of chemical weathering during bedrock alteration (Honours).
- Dosseto, A., Vigier, N., Joannes-Boyau, R., Moffat, I., Singh, T., Srivastava, P. 2015. Rapid response of silicate weathering rate to climate change in the Himalaya. Geochemical Perspectives Letters 1, 15-24.
- Aubert, M., Brumm, A., Ramli, M., Sutikna, T., Saptomo, E.W., Hakim, B., Morwood, M.J., van den Bergh, G.D., Kinsley, L. and Dosseto. A. 2014. Late Pleistocene cave paintings from the Maros karsts of Sulawesi, Indonesia. Nature 514 (7521), 223-227.
- A. Dosseto, P. Hesse, K. Maher, K. Fryirs and S.P. Turner. 2010. Climatic and vegetation control on sediment dynamics during the last glacial cycle. Geology 38, 395-398.
- A. Dosseto, S. P. Turner and J. Chappell, 2008. The evolution of weathering profiles through time: new insights from uranium-series isotopes. Earth Planet. Sci. Lett. 274 (3-4), 359-371.
- A. Dosseto, B. Bourdon and S. P. Turner, 2008. Uranium-series isotopes in river materials: insights into the timescales of erosion and sediment transport. “Frontiers” article. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 265 (1): 1 -17. In the TOP25 Hottest Articles of the journal Earth and Planetary Science Letters over the period January-March 2008:
- J. Davidson, S. Turner, H. Handley, C. Macpherson and A. Dosseto, 2007. An amphibole "sponge" in arc crust? Geology 35 (9): 787-790. ESI Highly Cited Paper
- A. Dosseto, B. Bourdon, J. Gaillardet, C. J. Allègre and N. Filizola, 2006. Timescale and conditions of chemical weathering under tropical climate: Study of the Amazon basin with U-series. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 70 (1): 71-89. In the TOP25 Hottest Articles of the journal Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta over the period October-December 2005:
- B. Bourdon, S. Turner, and A. Dosseto, 2003. Dehydration and partial melting in subduction zones: constraints from U-series disequilibria. Journal of Geophysical Research, 108 (B6), doi:10.1029/2002JB001839.