Dr Avijit Gupta
Honorary Principal Fellow
Phone No: +61 2 4221 5455
Tropical rivers with high-magnitude floods and seasonal discharge, and environmental issues.
- Honorary Principal Fellow, School of Earth & Environmental Sciences, University of Wollongong (since 2011)
- Working as Visiting Senior Scientist, Centre for Remote Imaging, Sensing and Processing, National University of Singapore, since 1998
- Prior University appointments in India, U.S.A., Singapore, and U.K.
- Worked with International Association of Geomorphologists, International Geographical Union Commissions, and other organisations
- PhD, Johns Hopkins University, U.S.A., 1973
- High-magnitude floods and channel response
- Large rivers
- Tropical rivers
- Remote sensing geomorphology
- Geomorphology and environmental evaluation
- Large rivers
- Use of very high resolution images in fluvial geomorphology
- Large floods in South and Southeast Asia
Selected Key Publications
- Liew, S.C., Gupta, A., Chia. A.S. and Ang, W.C. (2016) The flood of 2011 in the lower Chao Phraya valley, Thailand: Study of a long-duration flood through satellite imagery. Geomorphology, 262, 112-132.
- Solikhin, A., Thouret, J.-C., Liew, S.C., Gupta, A., Sayudi, D.S., Oehler, J.-F. and Kassouk, Z. (2015) High-spatial resolution imagery helps map deposits of the large (VEI 4) 2010 Merapi Volcano eruption and impact. Bulletin of Volcanology, 77:20, DOI 10.1007/s00445-015-0908-0.
- Kassouk, Z., Thouret, J.-C., Gupta, A., Solikhin, A. and Liew. S.C. (2014) Object-oriented classification of a high-spatial resolution SPOT5 image for mapping geology and landforms of active volcanoes: Semeru case study, Indonesia. Geomorphology, 221, 18-33.
- Thouret, J.-C., Oehler, J.-F., Gupta, A., Solikhin, A. and Proctor, J.N. (2014). Erosion and aggradation on persistently active-volcanoes – a case study from Semeru Volcano, Indonesia. Bulletin of Volcanology, 76:857, DOI 10.1007/s00445-014-0857-z.
- Scatena, F.N. and Gupta, A. (2013) Streams of the montane humid tropics. In Treatise on Geomorphology (J. Shroder and E.Wohl, Eds.), vol. 9, San Diego: Academic Press, 595-611.
- Thouret, J.-C., Liew, S.C. and Gupta, A. (2012) Remote sensing helps to assess natural hazards and environmental changes in Asia-Pacific region. Eos, Transactions, American Geophysical Union, 93(14), 146-146.
- Gupta, A. (2011) Tropical Geomorphology. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- Gupta, A. 2010) The effect of global warming on large rivers and deltas, in Developing Countries facing Global Warming: a Post-Kyoto Assessment (M. De Dapper, D. Swinne and P. Ozer, eds.), Belgian Royal Academy for Overseas Sciences, Brussels, 125-138.
- Thouret, J.C., Gupta, A., Lube, G., Liew, S.C., Cronin, S. and Surono, S. (2010) The 2006 pyroclastic deposits of Merapi Volcano, Java, Indonesia: high spatial resolution IKONOS images and complementary ground-based observations, Remote Sensing of Environment, 114, 1949-1967.
- Liew, S.C., Gupta, A., Wong, P.P. and Kwoh, L.K. (2010) Recovery from a large tsunami mapped over time: the Aceh Coast, Sumatra, Geomorphology, 114, 520-529.
- Liew, S.C., Thouret,J.C., Gupta, A. and Kwoh, L.K. (2008) First satellite image of a moving pyroclastic flow, Eos, Transactions, American Geophysical Union, 88 (22) 202
- Gupta, A, (Ed.) (2007) Large Rivers: Geomorphology and management. Wiley, Chichester.
- Gupta, A. and Liew, S.C. (2007) The Mekong from satellite imagery: a quick look at a large river, Geomorphology, 85, 259-274.
- Gupta, A. (Ed.) (2005) The Physical Geography of Southeast Asia. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- Kale, V.S., Gupta, A. and Singhvi, A.K. (2003) Late Pleistocene-Holocene palaeohydrology of Monsoon Asia, in Palaeohydrology: understanding global change (K.J. Gregory and G. Benito, Eds.), Wiley, Chichester, 213-232’
- Gupta, A. (2002) Geoindicators for tropical urbanization, Environmental Geology,42, 736-742.
- Kale,V.S. and Gupta, A. (2001) Introduction to Geomorphology. Longman Blackswan, Kolkata.
- Chen , Z., Yu, L. and Gupta, A. (2001) The Yangtze River: an introduction, Geomorphology, 41, 3-4.
- Gupta, A. (2000) Hurricane floods as extreme geomorphic events in The Hydrology-Geomorphology Interface: Rainfall, Floods, Sedimentation, Land Use (M.A. Hassan, O. Slaymaker and S. Berkowicz, Eds.), International Association of Hydrological Sciences Publication 261, Wallingford, 215-228.