Professor Colin Woodroffe
Phone: +61 2 4221 3359
Colin Woodroffe is a coastal geomorphologist, with an international research focus on the morphology, stratigraphy and sedimentary dynamics of tropical and subtropical coasts, and the application of Geographical Information Systems (GIS) to the study of processes and change in the coastal zone. The wide range of his interests is summarised in his comprehensive book Coasts: form process and evolution (2003), as well as his two more recent co-authored books, the Coast of Australia (2009), and Quaternary Sea-level Changes (2014).
- Professor, School of Earth & Environmental Sciences, University of Wollongong
- Previous positions held at University of Sheffield, University of Auckland, Australian National University, and Louisiana State University
- PhD, University of Cambridge, 1980
Research Interests / current projects
- Morphodynamics of estuaries and deltas
- Reef morphology and sedimentation
- Coral paleoclimatology and ocean circulation
- Reef island evolution and climate change
- GIS and the coast
Potential Honours and PhD Topics
Research in the research areas listed above.
Selected Key Publications
- McGregor, H.M., Fischer, M.J., Gagan, M.K., Fink, D., Phipps, S.J., Wong, H. and Woodroffe, C.D. (2013) A weak El Niño/Southern Oscillation with delayed seasonal growth around 4,300 years ago. Nature Geoscience, 6: 949-953.
- Woodroffe, C.D., McGregor, H.V., Lambeck, K., Smithers, S.G. and Fink, D. (2012) Mid-Pacific microatolls record sea-level stability over the past 5000 years. Geology, 40: 951-954.
- Woodroffe, C.D. and Murray-Wallace, C.V. (2012) Sea-level rise and coastal change: the past as a guide to the future. Quaternary Science Reviews, 54: 4-11. doi:10.1016/j.quascirev.2012.05.009.
- Woodroffe, C.D., Brooke, B.P., Linklater, M., Kennedy, D.M., Jones, B.G., Buchanan, C., Mleczko, R., Hua, Q. and Zhao, J. (2010), Response of coral reefs to climate change: Expansion and demise of the southernmost Pacific coral reef, Geophysical Research Letters, 37, L15602, doi:10.1029/2010GL044067
- Woodroffe, C.D. (2008) Reef-island topography and the vulnerability of atolls to sea-level rise. Global and Planetary Change, 62, 77-96.
- Woodroffe, C.D., B. Samosorn, Q. Hua, and D.E. Hart (2007) Incremental accretion of a sandy reef island over the past 3000 years indicated by component-specific radiocarbon dating, Geophysical Research Letters, 34, L03602, doi:10.1029/2006GL028875.
- Nicholls R.J., Wong P.P., Burkett V.R., Codignotto J.O., Hay J.E., McLean R.F., Ragoonaden, S. and Woodroffe, C.D. (2007) Coastal systems and low-lying areas. Climate Change 2007: Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability. Contribution of Working Group II to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Parry ML,. Canziani OF, Palutikof JP, van der Linden PJ, Hanson CE, Eds., Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 315-356.
- Tom Oliver - The morphodynamics of beach-ridge plains in eastern Australia
- Michelle Linklater - High latitudinal reefs in the Lord Howe Island marine park
- Ashishika Sharma – Foraminifera for coastal rehabilitation in Tuvalu
- Thang Nguyen – Environmental vulnerability assessment of the Mekong Delta
- Rafael Carvalho - Sediment budgets and coastal morphodynamics
- Tom Doyle - Beach and foredune dynamics