Dr Victoria Traynor
PhD ( University of Edinburgh), BSc (Nursing Studies) Hons, RGN, PGCHE, ILM
Phone: +61 2 4221 3471
Mondays 12:00-14:00 and Wednesdays 15:00-17:00
Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays
- Associate Professor (Rehabilitation, Continuing and Aged Care)
- Associate Director, NSW/ACT Dementia Training Study Centre
- Head of Postgraduate Studies (Higher Degree by Research enquiries, future and current candidates)
Associate Professor Victoria Traynor works in the School of Nursing at the University of Wollongong. Victoria's experience combines research education, and clinical experience in aged and dementia care. The focus of her work is on improving dementia care services using qualitative research and practice development techniques across care settings with multi-disciplinary teams. A summary of these works can be found at Aged and Dementia Care Health Research and Education (ADHERe).
Key achievements are development of a range of resources for delirium care, including national clinical pathways, nursing and multi-disciplinary dementia care competencies, interactive workshops for the implementation of person centred care and a Dementia and Driving Decision Aid (DDDA) booklet. Victoria was also the inaugural Director of the NSW/ACT Dementia Training and Study Centre and the postgraduate co-ordinator of fully-distance multidisciplinary Master of Sciences and Graduate Certificates in Gerontology and Rehabilitation Studies and Dementia Care. Current projects include, evaluating a physical activity programme for individuals living with a dementia in residential accommodation, special observation practices in the acute care setting and evaluating the effects of daylight on the health and well-being of older people.
Prior to relocating from UK in 2006, Victoria held positions with University of Nottingham, the Royal College of Nursing Institute (Gerontological Programme), Oxford Brookes University and with the University of Edinburgh where she completed her PhD studies and nursing honours degree.
School and Faculty Responsibilities
- Head of Postgraduate Studies, School of Nursing
- Aged care
- Dementia care
- Actively involving people with dementia in research
- Action research methodology
- Practice development
- Australian Association of Gerontology
- Alzheimer's Australia
- International Editor and Reviewer of Dementia: International Journal of Social Research & Practice
- Reviewer for Journal Clinical Nursing, Australasian Journal on Ageing, International Journal Older People Nursing and International Journal of Practice Development
Searchable RIS publications from 2000 to date.
Peer review publications indexed by Scopus (2015-2009)
- Andrew, C, Traynor, V., Iverson, D & Lewis, K (in press) Driving and Dementia: A literature review. Journal of Advanced Nursing. Accepted for publication June 2015
- Burns, P. Traynor, V. et al. (In press) Is Delirium Being Detected in Emergency Australasian Journal on Ageing Accepted for publication April 2015
- Yu, P; Barda, D; Zhang, Z; Carey,K; Fish, P; Hailey, D; Fleming, R & Traynor, V (2015) Continence assessment and management practices in Residential Aged Care Facilities: a cross-sectional survey Australian Journal of Advanced Nursing 32(2); 39-46
- Carmody, J.; Traynor, V. & Marchetti, E. (In press) Barriers to Qualitative Dementia Research: The Elephant in the Room Qualitative Health Research Accepted for publication August 2014 doi: 10.1177/1049732314554099
- Coyle, H. Traynor, V. & Solowij, N. (2015) Computerised and virtual reality cognitive training for individuals at high risk of cognitive decline: Systematic review of the literature American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. 23(4); 335–359; http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jagp.2014.04.009
- Carmody, J.; Potter, J.; Lewis, K.; Bhargava, S.; Traynor, V. & Iverson, D. Development and pilot testing of a decision aid for drivers with dementia (2014) BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making 14(9); 1-7. doi:10.1186/1472-6947-14-19
- Yu, P; Hailey, D; Fleming, R & Traynor, V (2014) An exploration of the effects of introducing a telemonitoring system for continence assessment in a nursing home Journal of Clinical Nursing 23, 3069-3079 doi: 10.1111/jocn.12538
- Carmody, J.; Carey, M.; Potter, J.; Marchetti, E.; Traynor, V. & Iverson, D. (2014) Driving with dementia: Equity, obligation, and insurance Australasian Medical Journal 7(9); 384-387.
- Carmody, J.; Carey, M.; Traynor, V.; Iverson D. (2013) Electronic discharge summary driving advice: current practice and future directions Australasian Medical Journal 43; 625-630 Including commentary
- Carmody, J.; Traynor, V.; Iverson D. & Marchetti, E. (2013) Driving, dementia and Australian physicians: Primum non nocere? Internal Medicine Journal 43; 625-30 [Impact factor 1.541] Regal P. On road driving assessment in dementia. Internal Medicine Journal 2013; 43(12); 1356
- Carmody, J., Traynor, V., Iverson, D. & Marchetti, E. (2013). Author reply. Internal Medicine Journal, 43(12), 1357.
- Carmody J., Traynor, V. & Iverson D. (2012) Dementia and driving – an approach for general practice. Australian Family Physician 41; 230–3.
- Carmody, J. & Traynor, V. (2012). Reply. Australian Family Physician, 41 (7), 459-460. [Including 2x letters to the editor] Australian Family Physician Volume 41, No.7, July 2012 Pages 459-460]
- Traynor, V.; Inuoe, K. & Crookes, P. (2011) Understanding Nursing Competencies in Dementia Care: A literature review Journal of Clinical Nursing 20(9-10); p 1948-1960 DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-2702.2010.03511.x
- McMillan, F.; Kampers, D.; Traynor, V. & Dewing, J. (2010) Person centred care as caring for Country Dementia: International journal of social research and practice 9(2); 163-167 [Invited editorial]
- Williams, G.; Park, J.; Traynor, V.; Nairn, S.; O’Brien, E.; Chapple, M. & Johnson, S. (2009) Lecturers' and students' perceptions of portfolios in an English School of Nursing Journal of Clinical Nursing 18(8); 1113-1122 DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-2702.2008.02553.x
- McPhail, C.; Traynor, V.; Wikström, D.; Brown, M. & Quinn, C. (2009) Improving Outcomes for Dementia Care in Acute Aged Care: Impact of an Education Programme Dementia: International journal of social research and practice 8(1); 142-7
Major Project Funding (2015-2009)
- Traynor, V., Carmody J. Marchetti, E. Andrew C. & Pastor, D. (2011-15) Driving and Dementia Road and Marine Services, The Wollongong Hospital, Global Challenges, UOW and University of North Carolina $80,000.
- Traynor, V. et al. (2014-2015) Delirium Care NSW Ministry of Health and SMAH, UOW $75,000.
- Traynor, V. & Moehead, A. (2012-2015) Competencies for Health and Community Care Workers Dementia Implementation Plan, NSW Ministry of Health, Agency for Clinical Innovation, NSW Ministry of Health, Nursing and Midwifery Office, NSW Ministry of Health, Dementia Behaviour Management Advisory Service, Department of Health $240,000.
- Fleming, R. Crookes P. & Traynor, V. (2006-2015) NSW & ACT Dementia Training Study Centre Department of Health & Ageing $4.3 million.
- Traynor, V., Chenoweth L, Joen YH, Fleming R, Clemson L & Phillipson L (2012-14) Impact of the Environment on Physical Activity Levels of Individuals with Dementia RACFs University of New South Wales DoHA Dementia Collaborative Research Centre $36,000.
- Ping Y, Hailey D, Fleming R & Traynor, V (2011-12) Evaluating the Implementation of an Digital Continence Device Simavita $27,000.