Professor Nagesh Pai, Professor of Psychiatry
Professor Nagesh Pai is the Foundation Professor of Psychiatry at the University of Wollongong’s Graduate School of Medicine (GSM) and a Clinical Academic in adult psychiatry at the Illawarra Shoalhaven Local Health District (ISHLD).
Prior to his current appointments, he was the senior staff specialist psychiatrist at Shellharbour Hospital and Lake Illawarra Community Mental Health Service.
Before coming to Australia in 2006, Prof Pai was Professor and Head of the Department of Psychiatry, KS Hegde Medical Academy in Mangalore, India (2001– 2005). Here he was instrumental in initiating the Centre for Psychiatric Research, established to help psychiatric doctors become involved in clinical research, and had the opportunity to be principal investigator for more than 30 international, multicentre clinical research projects. His research interests include psychopharmacology and metabolic syndromes.
Research Areas and Expertise
- Psychopharmacology-antipsychotics related side effects
- Medical Education
- Fellow of Royal Australian and NewZealand College of Psychiatrists (2008)
- CCST (Certificate of Completion of Specialist Training in General Adult Psychiatry) by STA, UK (2004)
- Doctor of Medicine (Psychiatry) National Institute of Mental health & NeuroSciences, India (1992)
- D.N.B. (Diplomate of National Board in Psychiatry), National Board of Examinations, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Govt. of India New Delhi (1992)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Psychological Medicine, National Institute of Mental Health & Neurosciences, Bangalore University Bangalore, India (1990)
- Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, India (1988)
- Silver Jubilee Award for the best outgoing student of the year (1992) M.D. In Psychological Medicine, NIMHANS, Bangalore.
- Gowd Saraswat Samaj Award for obtaining First Rank in M.D.(1992) in Bangalore University
- Merit certificate by the National Scholarship Scheme for the high position reached in the list of meritorious candidates, qualifying for awards for Karnataka (1980).
- Government of India grant-in-aid scheme of scholarship to students from non-Hindi Speaking States for post metric studies in Hindi (1980-81)
Vella, S. & Pai, N. (2011). A pharmacoepidemiological analysis of clozapine use in a region of Australia. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, 124 (5), 413-414.
Vella, S. C. & Pai, N. B. (2011). Psychosocial and biological factors contributing to body weight gain in schizophrenia. OJHAS, 10 (3)
Devaramane, V., Pai, N. B. & Vella, S. (2011). The effect of a brief family intervention on primary carer's functioning and their schizophrenic relatives levels of psychopathology in India. Asian Journal Psychiatry, 4 (3), 183-187.
Panesar, N., Pai, N. B. & Valachova, I. (2011). Late onset neutropenia with clozapine. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, 45 (8), 684.
Lian, J., Huang, X., Pai, N. & Deng, C. (2011). Histamine H1 receptor agonist and control of olanzapine-induced obesity. 31st Annual Meeting of the Australian Neuroscience Society (pp. 126-126). Australian Neuroscience Society.
Hu, C., Pai, N. B., Huang, X. & Deng, C. (2011). Potential control of risperidone-related cognitive deficits by adjunctive aripiprazole treatment. Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology, 31 (1), 135-136.
Panesar, N., Valachova, I., Lynch, W. & Pai, N. (2011). Establishing a recovery-focused rehabilitation unit: a case example. The Australian Journal of Rehabilitation Counselling, 17 (1), 46-53.
Pai, N. B. & Vella, S. C. (2011). The importance of primary care psychiatry: an Australian perspective with global implications. Journal of Primary Care and Community Health, 2 (4), 277-284.
Pai, N., Dawes, K. & Thomas, S. (2011). Delivering a psychiatry curriculum: are we meeting the expectations?. In Abstracts of the 3 Congress of Asian Psychiatry (WCAP 2011), 31/7-4/8, 2011, Melbourne, Australia. Asian Journal of Psychiatry, 4 (Suppl. 1), S60-S60.
Lian, J., Huang, X., Pai, N. & Deng, C. (2010). Reduce the olanzapine-induced body weight gain with histamine H1 receptor agonist betahistine in rats. In Abstract from the XXVII CINP Congress, 6-10 Jun, 2010, Hong Kong. International Journal of Neuropsychopharmacology, 13 (Supplement s1), 99-99.
Lian, J., Huang, X., Pai, N. B. & Deng, C. (2010). Potential control of antipsychotic-induced hyperprolactinemia and obesity in children and adolescents by aripiprazole. Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology & Biological Psychiatry, 34 (6), 1157-1158.
HDR Student Supervision (Co Supervisor)
- Janette Ellis (Graduate Schoolof Medicine) Ph.D
- Jiamei Lian (Faculty of Health & Behavioural Sciences) Ph.D
- Life member of Indian Medical Association
- Fellow of Academy of General Education, Manipal
- Fellow of Behavioural Medicine Society (India)
- Fellow of Indian Psychiatric Society
- Fellow of Institute of Australasian Psychiatrists
- Fellow of International Society for Affective Disorders
- Fellow of Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists
- Associate Fellow of Royal Australasian College of Medical Administrators
- Fellow of Pacific Rim College of Psychiatrists
- Diplomate in Behavior Medicine (International Academy of behavior Medicine and Psychotherapy, Colorado CO)
Email addresses are in the form firstname.lastname@example.org
|Email Alias: |
|Phone:||+61 2 4221 4071|
|Fax:||+61 2 4221 4341|