Associate Professor Aaron Oakley
Phone: +61 2 4221 4347
- Associate Professor
- Protein structure and function
- Protein Evolution
- Drug discovery
- DNA replication
- Steiner, R.A., Janssen, H.J., Roversi, P., Oakley, A.J. and Fetzner, S. (2010). Structural basis for cofactor-independent dioxygenation of N-heteroaromatic compounds at the alpha/beta-hydrolase fold. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA, 107, 657–662. [IF 9.74; 20 citations]
- Oakley, A.J., Coggan, M. and Board, P.G. (2010). Identification and characterization of gamma-glutamylamine cyclotransferase: An enzyme responsible for gamma-glutamyl-epsilon-lysine catabolism. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 285, 9642–9648. [IF: 4.65; 9 citation]
- Oakley, A.J. (2010). The structure of Aspergillus niger phytase PhyA in complex with a phytate mimetic. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 397, 745–749. [IF 2.41; 9 citations]
- Oakley, A.J., Barrett, S., Peat, T.S., Newman, J., Streltsov, V.A., Waddington, L., Saito, T., Tashiro, M. and McKimm-Breschkin, J.L. (2010). Structural and functional basis of resistance to neuraminidase inhibitors of influenza B viruses. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 53, 6421–6431. [IF 5.61; 35 citations]
- Zhou, H., Brock, J., Casarotto, M.G., Oakley, A.J. and Board, P.G. (2011). Novel folding and stability defects cause a deficiency of human glutathione transferase omega 1. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 286, 4271–4279. [IF: 4.65; 15 citations]
- Oakley, A.J. (2011). Glutathione transferases - A structural perspective. Drug Metabolism Reviews, 43, 138–151. [IF 5.54; 52 citations]
- Wijffels, G., Johnson, W.M., Oakley, A.J., Turner, K., Epa, V.C., Briscoe, S.J., Polley, M., Liepa, A.J., Hofmann, A., Buchardt, J., Christensen, C., Prosselkov, P., Dalrymple, B.P., Alewood, P.F., Jennings, P.A., Dixon, N.E. and Winkler, D.A. (2011). Binding inhibitors of the bacterial sliding clamp by design. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 54, 4831–4838. [IF 5.61; 6 citation]
- Bhatia, S., Knoch, B., Wong, J., Kim, W.S., Else, P.L., Oakley, A.J. and Garner, B. (2011). Selective reduction of hydroperoxyeicosatetraenoic acids to their hydroxy derivatives by apolipoprotein-D: Implications for lipid antioxidant activity and Alzheimer's disease. Biochemical Journal, 442, 713–721. [IF: 4.65; 1 citation]
- Oakley, A.J., Bhatia, S., Ecroyd, H. and Garner, B. (2012). Molecular dynamics analysis of apolipoprotein-D – lipid hydroperoxide interactions: mechanism for selective oxidation of Met-93. PLoS One, 7, e34057. [IF: 3.73; 5 citations]
- Zhou, H., Brock, J., Liu, D., Board, P.G. and Oakley, A.J. (2012). Structural insights into the dehydroascorbate reductase activity of human omega-class glutathione transferases. Journal of Molecular Biology, 420, 190–203. [IF: 3.91; 13 citations]
- Brown, S.H.J., Mitchell, T.W., Oakley, A.J., Pham, H.T. and Blanksby, S.J. (2012). Time to face the fats: What can mass spectrometry reveal about the structure of lipids and their interactions with proteins? Journal of the American Society for Mass Spectrometry, 23, 1441–1449. [IF: 3.59; 7 citation]
- Chilingaryan, Z., Yin, Z. and Oakley, A.J. (2012). Fragment-based screening by protein crystallography: Successes and pitfalls. International Journal for Molecular Sciences, 13, 12857–12879. [IF: 2.46; 4 citations]
- Ozawa, K., Horan, N.P., Robinson, A., Yagi, H., Hill, F.R., Jergic, S., Xu, Z.-Q., Loscha, K.V., Li, N., Tehei, M., Oakley, A.J., Otting, G., Huber, T. and Dixon, N.E. (2013) Proofreading exonuclease on a tether: the complex between the E. coli DNA polymerase III subunits alpha, epsilon, theta and beta reveals a highly flexible arrangement of the proofreading domain. Nucleic Acids Research, 41, 5354–5367. [IF: 8.28; 2 citations]; selected as a “Featured Article” (top 5% of articles in the journal).
- Brock, J., Board, P.G. and Oakley, A.J. (2013). Structural insights into omega-class glutathione transferases: A snapshot of enzyme reduction and identification of a non-catalytic ligandin site. PLoS One, 8:e60324. [IF 3.73; 1 citation]
- Yin Z, Kelso MJ, Beck JL, Oakley AJ (2013). Structural and Thermodynamic Dissection of Linear Motif Recognition by the E. coli Sliding Clamp.Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 56, 8665–73. [IF:5.61]
- Shishmarev, D., Wang, Y., Mason, C.E., Su, X.-C., Yagi, H., Oakley, A.J., Graham, B., Huber, T., Dixon, N.E. and Otting, G. (2014) Intramolecular binding mode of the C-terminus of E. coli single-stranded DNA binding protein (SSB) determined by nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy. Nucleic Acids Research, 42, 2750–7. [IF: 8.28]
- Yin, Z., Wang, Y., Whittell, L.R., Jergic, S., Liu, M., Harry, E.J., Dixon, N.E., Beck, J.L., Kelso, M.J., Beck, J.L., Oakley, A.J. (2014) DNA Replication is the Target for the Antibacterial Effects of Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs.Chemistry and Biology, (doi: 10.1016/j.chembiol.2014.02.009). [IF: 6.16]
- Zorik Chilingaryan
- Amy McGrath
- 2014 Associate Professor In Biological Chemistry, University of Wollongong
- 2010 ARC Future Fellow, University of Wollongong.
- 2008-2009 Research Scientist, CSIRO.
- 2003-2007 Research Fellow, Australian National University.
- 1998-2003 Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Western Australia.
- 1994-1997 Ph.D. student, St. Vincent's Institute of Medical Research.