A/Prof Clare Murphy
Phone: +61 2 42215065
See Centre for Atmospheric Chemistry website.
- Associate Professor in Physical Chemistry
Atmospheric Composition and Chemistry Techniques
- Remote sensing of atmospheric composition, using ground-based Fourier transform spectrometry.
- In-situ analysers for atmospheric composition measurements.
- Open-path measurements of atmospheric pollutants.
Scientific Focus Areas
- Understanding drivers of poor Air Quality
- The impact of biomass burning on the chemistry and composition of the troposphere.
- Identifying and quantifying sources of greenhouse gases and other gaseous pollutants to the atmosphere.
- Understanding the sources and fate of volatile organic compounds in the atmosphere.
Searchable RIS Publications from 2000 to date
Professional positions held:
- 2011 - Senior Lecturer in Chemistry, University of Wollongong.
- 2009 - 2008 Part-time Research Fellow (non-ongoing), part-time Associate Lecturer (non-ongoing) & PhD candidate, University of Wollongong. My research involved solar remote sensing of atmospheric trace gases, with a focus on troposheric pollution and the measurement and modelling of emissions to the atmosphere from agriculture and biomass burning.
- 2000-2002 Senior Research Scientist, Environmental Standards Group, Analytical Sciences Team, National Physical Laboratory (NPL), UK - (part-time). My main focus was commercial activities - developing chemometric techniques for quantitative measurements with Quadrapole Mass Spectrometers and Fourier transform spectrometers for industrial process control.
- 1994-1999 Higher Scientific Officer, Environmental Standards Group, Analytical Sciences Team, NPL, UK. My research involved solar remote sensing of atmospheric trace gases, aimed at understanding the processes that contribute to stratospheric ozone depletion.
- 1990-1994 Scientific Officer, Radioactivity Group, NPL. My work involved developing measurement techniques, quality assurance and uncertainty analysis in the area of radiation metrology.
- 2009 - PhD, Chemistry, University of Wollongong, Australia. Title of thesis: "Measurements and Modelling of Emissions from Biomass Burning in Australia."
- 1994 - MSc, Radiation and Environmental Protection, (Physics) University of Surrey, UK.
- 1989 - BSc (Hons) (Physics), Exeter University, UK.